Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I Want It Immediately If Not SOONER!

I have to say, this journey is not just about what supplement I'm taking or what workout I'm going to incorporate.  I am on a search for EVERY way that I can improve my overall health (and the health of my lil man).  I'm not so much worried about my husband b/c he took a one day course on nutrition from the Cleveland Clinic and is now an EXPERT on EVERYTHING. (I hope my sarcasm was clear in my last statement).

A year and a half ago, I gave birth to the most perfect child.  I might be biased but he's pretty darn cute.  At the time, I decided that I wanted to give him the best start at life so I chose to breastfeed.  According to medical research, this is the most perfect nutrition you can give your child not to mention the additional benefits to both the mother and the child.  During the time I nursed, my son got sick maybe once or twice in a 13 month time period.  (Yes... I'm proud that I made it 13 months)

Nine weeks after I gave birth, unfortunately my maternity leave ended and if I wanted to continue to breastfeed, I had to pump several times a day and give my son bottles when I wasn't available.  It was during this time that I really started to think about how important 'INSTANT' really was.  Breast milk should only be heated gradually in a bottle warmer or on the stove.  NEVER in a MICROWAVE!  This is because microwaves destroy the nutrients in the milk making it pretty much useless as far as benefiting the child.  Now there is nothing more frustrating than having a child that doesn't understand that it will take a few minutes when you could just heat it in 30 seconds to make them happy.  But sometimes you have to endure the screams in order to do what's best.  


So if nutrients is destroyed in breast milk when being heated in a microwave, what do you think happens to other foods that are put in a microwave?  And aside from the obvious high sodium in those Healthy Choice, Weight Watchers, and Nutrisystem meals... every one of them is heated in a microwave.  Where is the nutritional value then?  We are so concerned with the immediate or so rushed in our days that even when we think we are being healthy, we're destroying the nutrients in most of our meals. This far from benefits our bodies.


Now I'm not perfect.  I own a microwave.  I use it... although I try to use it as little as possible.  Most of the time it's to heat up my hot pack for my neck.  It's important to slow down.  Take the time to be healthy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Missy, I just wanted to comment that Zija Smart Mix is being used by women as a prenatal supplement. So it is safe for babies, as well. My husband and I babysit our 2 grandchildren, ages 2 & 4 while our daughter works. We give them Zija Smart Mix when they wake up each day. One packet consists of 4 tsp. and so they get one tsp. mixed with 2 oz. of water. I have them wait 15-20 minutes before they eat anything. They love the taste and when I first started giving it to them, I would tell them that now they have "ZIJA POWER!" They loved to repeat it back with a lot of expression. They both are picky eaters, especially the 4 year old and I'm so happy to be giving them nourishment their bodies need. Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete